Sunday, June 5, 2011

GEORGETOWN: I FEEL YOUR PAIN

NPR recently reported that Georgetown University had misspelled the word University on the cover of the Graduation Program. The news stopped me cold in the middle of my workout. Spelling has always been my nemesis contributing to more than an anxious moment or two in my career.

A letter of mine was sent to the President of Temple University. It contained a misspelled word. The President was a kind man who responded without mentioning my blunder. Not so his diligent assistant who enclosed a note, written in red ink with the words, "THIS IS A DISGRACE." I was mortified.

Writing errors of any kind are unsettling, but I would give Georgetown a break. The Class of 2011 should hold on to those Programs as they will probably be worth a lot of conversation at the 25 Anniversary Reunion.

1 comment :

  1. Beverly, that Temple assistant must have been in a nasty mood (or leading a miserable life) to write such a mean comment. To ear...uh, I mean, to err is human, so no biggie. Besides, I think it's far easier to spot an other individual's typos than recognize your own bloopers!

    ReplyDelete