Sunday, October 16, 2011

NEW YORK'S TAPPEN ZEE BRIDGE

Recently I learned that New York's Tappen Zee Bridge, built in the 1950s, will be torn down. It is one of many bridges that need to be repaired or replaced because of neglect or because the structure can no longer safely serve ever increasing traffic.

Yet, understanding all this and agreeing that neglected structures are unsafe for man, woman or beast, I will be sad to see the Tappen Zee torn down.

Sometimes,when I visit New York, I go to Tarry Town where I stop at a dockside bar across the Hudson River facing the Tappen Zee. When I see her, she reminds me of a grand dame's elegant tiara. I know that if I had to use the bridge, as thousands do daily, the Tappen Zee's elegance's or lack of it would not be on my mind as I crawled along in traffic.

But sitting in Tarry Town facing the Bridge I wonder will she be replaced by an impossibly high, cold cement overpass? Will that overpass be as satisfying to the senses as watching an elegant tiara sparkle in the sun or moonlight. I think not, but everyone will get home quicker!

No comments :

Post a Comment