Saturday, March 9, 2013

BEETHOVEN & THE ELUSIVE HEDGEHOG?

I attended a recent performance of the St. Louis Symphony.  On the program led by conductor David Robertson was Beethoven's Symphony No. 2 in D major, op.56 a.  In the Symphony the instruments talk back and forth to each other in a delightful way.

According to our Program, when Beethoven created the Symphony he was loosing his hearing and was so despondent that he contemplated suicide.

Yet, when I listen to this Symphony, I picture a small hedgehog darting from here, there and everywhere to avoid its pursuers.  Just when the pursuit seems to have exhausted itself, the little hedgehog shows itself once again and the pursuit begins again.

On this occasion, sitting a few rows from the Orchestra, listening to the music  and watching David Robertson as he gestured and moved, for me Beethoven even in all his despair was depicting the elusive hedgehog that I imagined.

No comments :

Post a Comment