Sunday, June 9, 2013

WHAT DO WE DO ABOUT MISTAKES?

Two small children and their mother came into my favorite coffee shop.  The children looked as if they might be brother and sister.  The boy was about three.  The girl about five. Both were beautiful, exuberant children.

The mother ordered breakfast while the children selected a table and then roamed about.  When the mother brought the food, they all sat down. I returned to reading  my paper until I heard the mother yell, "Say you are sorry!" When I looked up the mother was on her knees on the floor trying to clean up a mess and the little boy was running to the other side of the restaurant shouting, "I won't!"

I do not know what happened but the whole scene made me wonder.  Do we use "sorry" as an acceptable response to excuse our mistakes instead of doing the hard work of cleaning up the mess we sometimes make?

No comments :

Post a Comment