Monday, December 2, 2019

WORDS AND WIT THAT INSPIRE

I was curious  about the article "The Polymath Who Led With His Wit.*"

I had never heard of a polymath.   Nor did I know of the writing of Clive James a literary critic until I read his eulogy. At first I thought polymath was about mathematics.  In some ways the logic of mathematics combined with the rhythm of music are the things I enjoy most about writing.

James was 80 when he died. I read of his literary accomplishments and of his ability to laugh at himself and illness.  He left a legacy of quotes. In one of his final interviews he talks of "The childish urge to understand everything doesn't necessarily fade.  If you don't know the exact moment when the lights will go out, you might as well read until they do."

Would that all of us understood that kind of plain, earthy language.

                                          _________________________

*The Polymath Who Led With His Wit
Dwight Garner/ An Appraisal
New York Times, 11-30-19









No comments :

Post a Comment