Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Library Treasure

St. Louis' Central Public Library can hold its own when compared with other public libraries around the country. I've always been intrigued with libraries. When I first arrived here, I visited several small ones, some in my neighborhood, others further out in the burbs.

Yesterday I was looking for the book "An Aquinas Reader" for a class assignment. I was told it would be found in the City's Central Library. Of the many places suggested to me to be sure and see, no one mentioned the Central Library. So I was quite surprised and delighted with the treasure I found.

The City's first Public Library was in a room in The Board of Education. Now, there are 16 Branches around St. Louis. The Central Library is located in an imposing building built in 1907 by the famous American architect Cass Gilbert who designed New York City's Woolworth Building, The U.S. Supreme Court Building in Washington, D.C. and a long list of other institutions, churches and hospitals.

The Library houses 3 million, 7 hundred thousand items on three floors with children's and popular libraries and a micro form room in the basement. The third floor is used for exhibit space along with some administrative offices.

The main floor's reading room is in the Great Hall where deliveries were once made and now has a balcony lined with books. Columns and floors are of marble. Walls and ceilings are done in beaux arts decor. Individual rooms carry individual themes. European, Monastery and one was inspired by Michelangelo's Laurentian Library. Gilded plaster is shaped into swags, flowers, cornucopias, Fleur-Di-Li's and Durham stained glass are seen throughout.

I did not have time to browse the Stacks. I will when I go again and take the tour.

No comments :

Post a Comment