Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Truman and Us

A few weeks ago, I read that Matthew Algeo was about to publish a book about how easy it was for President Harry S. Truman and his wife to travel as ordinary citizens on America's roads after he had left office. The article sparked a memory of my own.

Sometime after Truman left office, my family and I were traveling by car on our way from Philadelphia to New York. With us was my sister and her year old daughter. As we passed another car, we recognized Clifton Daniel and his wife Margaret Truman in the front seat. In the back seat were Harry and Bess Truman.

No entourage accompanied them. They were just another car on the road. We were thrilled to see them. We waved. My sister held up her daughter to show them her baby. The former President of the United States laughed and waved back. We were so excited, we talked about the encounter all the way into New York and for years afterward.

1 comment :

  1. Hi Beverly: I like this story about Truman a lot. It's fun to see that you are a blogger. I have become one too -- http://jameskristie.blogspot.com. I learned of your blog from the PPRA newsletter. I hope all is good with you in your new base of operations in St. Louis. I'm still teaching at Temple. How many moons ago has it been since you and I first talked of my interest in teaching? Too many! Very best regards. -- Jim Kristie

    ReplyDelete