Friday, October 23, 2009

BOOK BATTLE: DAVID AND GOLIATH

The New York Times reports that the American Booksellers Association, which represents independently-owned book stores, is asking the Justice Department to investigate predatory pricing by Amazon, Wal-Mart and Target.

Left Bank Books, independently owned, is close to where I live. I go there to browse, on occasion to buy a gift for someone, or simply to explore new and old titles. When I open the store's front door, the wonderful smell of paper, old leather and glossy new covers greets me as if to say "hello." Browsing is invited and a gorgeous black cat claims ownership to both floors of the store. Posters,notices, book group readings, and customer requests line the Bulletin Board.

There is no espresso counter, but there are shelves and shelves of books. Every once in a while some item that a reader might enjoy is displayed and the sales personnel are helpful and knowledgeable. I was reminded of all this when I read about the battle between the huge book outlets and the little guy. Me? I'm rooting for David!

No comments :

Post a Comment