Thursday, August 12, 2010

SLOW DOWN! IT'S CHINA!

Every once in a while, I use a high tech shop for special printing jobs. The manager is a gracious, skilled manager from China. She has lived in this country many years but does go back to China to visit family. She was there recently. When asked what she thought of the modernization of China, she told me, "It is different, different than here."

She claimed that in China, placing an order for anything requires time to hold conversation and ask questions. "How will the product be used? What is its purpose? Who will use it? Here, people come in and just say, do this!" To me, the difference she was describing sounded like the great cultural divide between East and West.

Here we want as little conversation and few steps to get something done quickly. While in the East, time is taken to understand what needs to be done and why. When I left the shop I realized that I had taken the time for conversation I might not have had otherwise. I had slowed down!

No comments :

Post a Comment