Wednesday, February 23, 2011

FORE! FISH SPAWNING!

On a recent trip to Florida, I had the chance to watch the spawning habits of tilapia, an ordinary-looking fish. On the edge of a manmade pond, fed by a natural spring, the tilapia were busy building their round, muddy-looking nests that appeared out of place in the clear, clean water.

Their nests were close to each other and they socialized with their neighbors. At one point, two fish seemed to be puckering their lips and kissed each other, whether before or after laying their eggs was a mystery to me.

What struck me about all this was the determination of this fish, normally found in Africa, to continue their ancient reproduction ritual without shame in the middle of a golf course.

1 comment :

  1. Next time I eat Trader Joe's talapia, I'll think of your description.

    ReplyDelete