Thursday, April 28, 2011

SYSTEMS THAT THREATEN SECURITY

I was relieved when the tornadoes that marched through Missouri and Illinois took few lives last week. My relief was short lived as I watched in horror as an unbelievable number of tornadoes swallowed everything in their paths. This time hundreds of people were killed in the South.

This morning came the news of rivers rising beyond flood levels in Illinois and Missouri, not to mention the flooding last week in the Midwest.

I would have liked to close out April with a lovely story, or relate an interesting encounter or even write about a humorous situation. Instead the weather has me, along with many others fixed on it.

We have always challenged or treated the weather with benevolent tolerance even though it is a power which we need to better understand and treat as seriously as other systems that threaten our security.

No comments :

Post a Comment