Wednesday, May 11, 2011

HOORAY! HE'S CONQUERING THE WORLD!

St. Louis residential neighborhoods have small islands of greenery between streets that are only a block long with dead ends. Cars enter at one end and loop around to exit at the same spot. Home owners, or renters, park their cars on these streets yet there is little traffic. Whether people are gardening, walking dogs or children playing, there is always something going on.

On Mothers Day, I was returning from my favorite coffee house when I spotted a child half a block away. He was walking and running and weaving from one side to the other like a sailor just off the ship. As the child came closer, I realized he could be not much more than a year old. He was not slowing down for a minute even though he was about to lose his diaper. It was apparent that he was new to this walking and running business. As he came toward me, I began to yell, "Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!"

He ran up to me. Buried his head in my knees and hugged my legs as if to say thank you for noticing my accomplishment. Then he ran back to his father. All else seemed irrelevant, he had indeed conquered the world!

No comments :

Post a Comment