Saturday, November 19, 2011

HOW A SEVEN YEAR OLD SEES THINGS

As I went for coffee this morning I passed a table filled with five children and an adult. I stopped to ask if they were all from the same family. Their mother told me they were sisters and brothers. She pointed out a set of twins, another young boy and girl and her oldest, a bored adolescent who seemed in need of attention.

I mentioned to the younger children I thought it was wonderful to have a big brother. One of the girls, about seven years old, piped up, "No its not!" I leaned down and whispered in her ear, wait until you are a little bigger. Without skipping a beat she answered, "Why? Because I will want his inheritance?"

It took my breath away and I wondered, how many more seven year old children see our world this way?

No comments :

Post a Comment