Monday, November 28, 2011

MY GRANDCHILDREN & THE FUTURE

My grandchildren, Hoben (16) and Emma (17) took me on a tour of their school on Grandparents Day recently. Both are heads taller than me. Both are articulate, good looking, avid readers and accomplished in many ways.

Emma, who from an early age rode horses many times her size, now has her own horse which she rescued and cares for at a barn in Illinois. Her imagination lends itself well to writing and music and I was told excels at both. She plays guitar and piano and has a lovely voice like her mother and gets her musical ability from her father.

Hoben, now taller than his six foot father, has always had a curiosity about the way things are put together. His understanding of math and geography far exceeds my own. He plays drums, idolizes the Beatles and has his father's sense of humor. When he pitches for his baseball team, I am reminded of a choreographed dance.

Both children's illustrations and special projects were displayed in classrooms and hallways. When their science teachers spoke of their abilities I was hard pressed not to show my pride in them. When I left I was sure that both Hoben and Emma,like many of their peers are capable of shaping their country's future in a good way.

No comments :

Post a Comment