Tuesday, December 6, 2011

SURPRISING SOLO PERFORMANCE

I am constantly encountering interesting people either on the elevator or in the laundry room in the apartment house where I live. Next to the laundry room is the Business Center where I write or read until my clothes are ready.

Today, as I was about to enter the Business Center, I stopped in my tracks. Through the glass door I saw a young woman, playing the violin. It was obvious she was practicing and I did not want to intrude on her space, but she gestured to come in. She explained that I might not enjoy her playing but I sat down and began to write anyway. She played beautifully and at times I found myself tearing up because of a delicate melody.

I learned that she had arrived from China six months ago to play with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. Her name is Xiaoxiao Qiang. I shall look for her at the next concert I attend and remember that she honored me with a solo performance on a day that would have otherwise been uneventful and mundane.

No comments :

Post a Comment