Saturday, December 24, 2011

GRANDMA & "ONLY IN AMERICA!"

Whenever my grandmother would learn of something unusual, she would say, "Only in America!" Sometimes she said this in awe. Sometimes she said it in exasperation at something she felt was wrong headed.

I thought of my grandmother today on the day of Christmas Eve, on the fifth day of Hanukkah and on the day just before Kwanzaa begins. I was listening to NPR when I heard a report about "Cup Stacking." The sport was begun in the 90s. It has serious contenders who carry their cups in specially designed shoulder cages. There are local and national rules for regional and world competitions.

Right in the middle of holiday celebrations with lights, tinsel, ancient music and customs and the news of the world, all gave way to cup stacking. As I listened to the report, I thought of my grandmother and how in awe she would have been to learn about the serious business of cup stacking. I think she would have smiled and said, "Only in America!" as did I this morning!

No comments :

Post a Comment