Sunday, June 3, 2018

AMERICA, THE MELTING POT?

"Melting Pot", the description was once used to describe America. Today, to assess the real strength of America we weigh-in factors not necessarily thought of years ago.  As a people we recognize that we and immigrants share common human aspirations. Citizen and immigrant alike want the opportunity to work and have the life style we want.  We and they wish to contribute to this country.  We and they seek a just society and the protection and security of our laws.

I thought of all this at my granddaughter's graduation Commencement Ceremony where I was squired around by her parents, my other son and my grandson and his companion.  The Ceremony was held at Bard college amidst the spectacular environment of New York State.  The graduates included men and women from different states and countries around the world.  Graduates were of different colors, cultures, dress and spoke different languages. Each graduate's thesis was listed by Title and indicated study in subjects that ranged from the environment to scientific technology to the arts and human and animal relationships and economic requirements for opening a business/

It will take much more than the "Melting Pot" known to my grandparents to help get us through the swift moving channels of change America and the world finds itself in today.  But  the graduates I met,
and the education they received are capable of navigating the rough waters ahead and I am optimistic about our future.











No comments :

Post a Comment