Friday, June 8, 2018

THE OBELISK AND A BOY'S CURIOSITY!

There is an unusual, black 12-foot Obelisk in the Mall where I walk with my friend each morning.  The sculpture stands in contrast to shops, kiosks , food islands and theaters.  Its uniqueness is that it appears to have water running from the top to the bottom never leaving a drop of water at its base or on the floor.  Much of the time we walkers pass it without a glance though children are often intrigued by it.

Today I noticed a young boy watching the obelisk intensely.   I stopped and asked him how does he think the water goes up to the top and than comes down again?  He thought for a moment.  Then he said, "There must be a pipe inside the Obelisk that sucks the water up and then when it hits the bottom the pipe brings the water back up again. "

My friend who is an engineer made a quick sketch to demonstrate how the Obelisk works and how gravity plays a role in the process. As we spoke with the young man and his mother we learned he was in the sixth grade and interested in science.

I do not know what impression all this had on the young man.  What I do know is the boy's awareness of his surroundings and questions will serve him, his school, his community and all of us well as we continue to plan for the future.


No comments :

Post a Comment