Saturday, May 16, 2009

GRADUATION TIME!

St. Louis serves as a mecca for universities, colleges and technical schools. In addition to campus dorms, students live all around us and their excitement about graduation is felt by the whole city.

The streets overflow with traffic bringing families from out of town to mark each student's accomplishment after long years of study. Sometimes the Cathedral opposite me is used for a school's graduation services.

No matter the inclement weather, young women with flimsy, billowing dresses join young men, jacket less, trying desperately to keep ties from flapping in the wind on the Church's plaza. Afterward, with gowns flapping and mortarboards held tight, graduates seek out families and fiends as flash bulbs pop.

Today on my morning walk I met a woman carrying a gown who is a faculty member for one of these institutions. Asked how the semester was she said it had its ups and downs but we got through it. As I pass cars being loaded with boxes for the trip home, I have a sense of renewed hope for this country's future.

Then I pull out the newspaper and read that the U.S. Senate has passed a Bill that will allow concealed weapons to be brought into public places. Because of the season, and the young graduates all about me, my hope is still strong.

Maybe, just maybe, from all those in the Class of '09 will come a greater understanding of why this ill conceived law should be turned back.

No comments :

Post a Comment