Thursday, May 7, 2009

OH YE, OF LITTLE FAITH!

I don't enjoy gambling, but I do enjoy horse racing. Even without a bet, I love the beauty, anticipation and excitement of the race, the horses and the crowds. I tend to be interested in long shots and have faith one will finally come in.

Even with no money on "Mine That Bird," knowing nothing about the jockey or trainer, I picked number 8 to win. He was the long shot and he carried my magic number. When he did win, I was as exited as if I had put money on him.

True, when I saw him come out of the gate, not the handsomest of steeds, I lost a little confidence in my magic number 8, a number so designated because it appears throughout the statistics of the day of my birth.

When the race was over and the stunned crowd began to leave, I wondered about the people who actually put money on this long shot. Was it because of superstition, intuition, a hunch, or like me, because of a name or number that held some significance?

I also wondered about all the others who bet on the "sure thing" and now regretted that they did not have enough "faith" to go with a long shot. Especially one with the magic number 8.

No comments :

Post a Comment