Tuesday, June 9, 2009

RELIGIOUS PAGEANTRY

Tomorrow, Robert Carlson will be installed as the ninth Arch Bishop of St. Louis. Tonight, he was serenaded by a choral society in the Cathedral of St. Louis amid the color of priestly vestments and the red and black capes of his white plumed honor guards with swords drawn.

The hope here is that he will be a unifying force between the more than half a million Catholics he leads, and other representatives of different faiths in the community. As I watched the elegant pageantry, I thought of the awesome responsibility now before this man.

I remembered too the poetic words in the Torah's ancient Psalms of David read this morning in class. I wondered, as so often I do, at the ability of religious teaching to inspire us with words and pageantry as well as to incite us with bigotry.

No comments :

Post a Comment