Wednesday, June 24, 2009

SERENDIPITY AND ADVENTURE

The word serendipity conjures images of unexpected delights. I had such a day recently when I picked up my grandson from his summer class.

Before I picked up Hoben, there was time for me to stop at a restaurant for coffee. I was waiting in a long line when my grandson popped up in front of me. He was on a class break with his teacher. He asked me to join them at their table. Before they left, I was invited to visit the class to see his lovely glass paintings. Then we spent the afternoon doing unpredictable things.

One thing Hoben wanted to do was to get rid of a bundle of clothes he had outgrown. We took them to a store that buys, trades, and sells used merchandise. The store was fascinating and reminded me of old trading posts. The operation is run by hip, young women. As they went through each item, they used different colored clothespins to price each one. There was a two hour wait so we went to lunch and came back. We learned that the clothes were worth less than expected and most were returned to him which he gave to Goodwill.

After a few more stops and much conversation, we wound up at Barnes and Noble. When I dropped Hoben off at his house, I realized that I had experienced a day that began serendipitously and was filled with adventure and the fun of being with my grandson.

2 comments :

  1. OMG!!! (Oh my god) this is amazing

    hoben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beverly -- Maybe not serendipity exactly -- more ESP. I was just thinking about you today, wondering how you and your blog were coming along. And when I opened my e-mail, a happy surprise -- an e-mail with link to your Blog!!!

    Read the Obama Hamburger excerpt also -- you were actually there ?? very interesting!!

    Well, this is my first time ever answering a blog. Assuming this gets to you and I did everything right! Elayne

    ReplyDelete