Monday, May 10, 2010

IS CREATIVITY SHUNNED FOR THE FAMILIAR?

I belong to "Booksters." As the name implies, we are a group of women who get together every five weeks to discuss and select a book we read. The books we read are not necessarily current titles. As an example, recently we read "Haroun and the Sea of Stories," a novel by Salman Rushdie, first published in America in 1990.

When I started this book, the names of people and places seemed to be testing my imaginative agility. Many of them were derived from Hindustani words which were foreign and confusing. As I read on, I realized many of the verses were quite musical and begged to be sung. Strange names or not,I would have enjoyed reading the fast paced adventures out loud to a young child.

It was an enriching experience to read this small book with the strange title. It encouraged me to leave the mundane and go to places I may not have known. Yet, this author, musicians and artists are shunned because of artistic creativity. Is it because they urge us to go beyond the familiar and explore places which are different?

No comments :

Post a Comment