Sunday, June 20, 2010

LANGUAGE: FAMILIAR AND OTHERWISE

I speak, read and write in English. Thanks to immigrant grandparents, I understand most Yiddish, but I am unable to speak or read it with great fluency. My understanding of the Spanish and Latin language that I took in school was less than satisfactory. But when I hear a foreign language spoken I know it is not English and I am never shy about asking what it is.

Recently I overheard strangers having an animated conversation in a language I did not recognize. When I could, I asked what language it was they were speaking. I was told it was Amharic, the Ethiopian Language. From that I learned that they had immigrated to America about six years ago. Asked what brought them to St. Louis, they said other family who had settled here.

After our brief conversation, I realized there is much to learn from the many languages spoken in our country. And much to learn about the many rich cultures that language represents, none of it belittling to English nor to America's history.

No comments :

Post a Comment