Wednesday, June 9, 2010

THE PLEASURE OF SMALL STORES

Recently, my digital wrist watch was not keeping time. I asked a number of friends if they knew where I might find a small watch repair shop. All directed me to a suburban mall. When it comes to services like watch repair, or shoe repair, or even gifts I prefer a small shop.

I was complaining to my grandson Hoben that I had been without a wrist watch for nearly two weeks because I could not find a small watch repair shop. We were in the car. He suggested a shop that might be helpful on the road we were on.
We stopped there. Sure enough, the watch repair men were sitting in a glass enclosure with their special glasses and head gear working away diligently. Jewelry counters, antique furniture and music boxes of all sorts filled the rest of the store.

As I waited for my watch, we spotted a standing music box. We were able to see through the glass door. The box contained about 6 or 7 metal discs. Each disc was about 18" inches round with holes in it much like old player piano rolls, only the metal discs were standing upright. We wound it up. When the 1882 music box worked, we were delighted and fascinated by the machinery running it.

For my money, it is only in small, out of the way shops that one can have such an unexpected experience. And all I wanted to do was replace a digital battery for my wrist watch.

No comments :

Post a Comment