Saturday, July 24, 2010

DANIEL SCHORR: A PERSONAL REFLECTION

Though I did not know him, the death of Daniel Schorr was a shock and left me feeling as if I had had a personal loss. Whenever I heard that he would be on NPR, I would stop what I was doing to listen to him.

I was always struck by his ability to accept and analyze the news in a straight forward way without rancor. He recounted his firsthand participation in historical events spanning nearly a century in a mater-of-fact way, without ego. He was able to draw striking verbal descriptions of similarities and differences between past events and current ones.

His tough questioning of public policy and officials, and his demand for excellence and integrity in his news reporting was demonstrated in his respect for allowing factual information speak for itself. In so doing he encouraged me, as his listener to question the accuracy and use of all information.

Dan Schorr's quiet voice was for me one of reason, respect, and fairness. I shall miss his guidance through the rough times ahead.

No comments :

Post a Comment