Friday, December 3, 2010

NOT LIKE THE PURITANS?

I spent Thanksgiving week in Washington, D.C. with my son and other family and friends who live there. The City, so often vilified by those who live elsewhere, has always fascinated me. The united majesty of the Capitol, the awesome Supreme Court,the keeper of our treasures the Smithsonian, the powerful Lincoln Memorial, and the simplicity of the FDR Memorial still are inspiring to me.

I have visited the Capitol before as a student. I worked there at the beginning of my career. I marched there as a woman with two sons to protest our tolerance of the reckless use of guns. This time I walked on the National Mall with other visitors simply to enjoy places that chronicle our nation's brief history. I was delighted by the City's restaurants offering food from Asia, the Middle East, Ireland, Greece, Italy, Spain, English tea in the Smithsonian and a hot dog from a sidewalk vendor.

We celebrated Thanksgiving with the prerequisite turkey, sweet potatoes and apple pie - all delicious enough to rate second helpings. Blessings over the food were offered in English and Hebrew. As I looked around our table, I realized how unlike the Puritans we were. We were spouses, ex spouses, step sisters and brothers, siblings, significant others, all holding different political beliefs.

Not like the Puritans for sure! Then again, not like many other countries. The trip to Washington reminded me, I would not want to return to Puritanical ways.

No comments :

Post a Comment