Tuesday, May 24, 2011

THE UGLY BRUTALITY OF NATURE

The destruction caused in Joplin, Missouri is hard to fathom. I tried to imagine the tornado's huge footprint, nearly a mile wide and six miles long. A tornado that size would have traveled a distance comparable to the distance between where I live in St. Louis' Central West End neighborhood to University City and would have been as wide as the distance between Forest Park and my apartment house.

I tried to imagine what it would be like to look down my street and see this monster coming at me. I tried to picture what it would be like to walk amidst so much destruction and death and to know that all I had was gone. Whether a tornado, earth quake, flood or some other natural disaster, it is impossible to really understand what it is like to live through the wrath of nature.

No matter what we attribute the unusual weather to around the globe and in our country, we are fragile before nature. Yet,as we confront the ugly, unstoppable brutality of Mother Nature, our human response is to help and heal each other for strength and inspiration in face of that which is uncontrollable.

No comments :

Post a Comment