Sunday, July 10, 2016

MY PRESENTIMENT ODE TO TURMOIL?

I live in an apartment on a high floor in a building in St. Louis, Missouri.  The view I get of the sky is sometimes bland, sometimes frightening and at other times a delight.  Though I do not see the sun rise, I am able to see it begin to call in the dawn.

On occasion I write a small ode about what it is that I see.  Last week, the day before I became aware of the turmoil in Dallas Texas, this is what I saw.

The sun's strong waves of color call me from bed
To watch as they chase clouds grey and gloomy
From a distance, lightning shouts its defiance
Leaving me to wonder
How will this battle turn out?

The question I had in that early morning last week became one that stays with me now. This land, my country and yours, is hurting.  It is hurting from our behavior, lack of respect  and use of language toward each other.

There is an urgent need for each of us to begin to listen, and see and reach out to each other without
condescension or violence. Nor can we easily hold on to those things and people we use so easily to accomplish corrupt deeds and intimidation without losing our own humanity.

There are and will be a lot of words and plans and hopes made to try to set right what Dallas now seems to represent.  Yet Dallas could become the turning point for each of us to realize we are all part of a huge undertaking called America and we need each other to make it work.

 How will this battle turn out?  The answer is within each of us.  We need to do our part!

SEE YOU AT THE POLLS!

1 comment :