Sunday, July 3, 2016

THE SOUND & LOOK & UNDERSTANDING OF THE FUTURE?

I was intrigued by a conversation I had recently with a friend who told me he was working on a project which would require a 3D  mock up.

I am familiar with two-dimensional films, cards and printing.  I  do have a printer, nearly 20 years old with my computer, so I thought I knew what he was talking about.

But I did not.  I was not able to comprehend how he could indeed print out a physical mock up from a "printer" until he showed me pictures of the technology that did just that.

The link which explains the technology is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

To my surprise, when I used it, I found that the concept for the technology was introduced in the '70s in crude devices.

Today, 3D printers produce large and small parts used in equipment of all kinds and for smaller
projects such as the one my friend was developing.

The link above demonstrates the process on a film in which the 3D printer actually produces a lovely lattice designed basket.

Watching the link, I was reminded of the Robotic competition that is held in high schools in this nation and other countries around the world in which students design robots of their own.

As I write this, I listen for the sound of "beep,beep" that is expected to come on my radio tomorrow from Juno the small probe which was launched by NASA five years ago on an Atlas V Rocket designed to land on the planet Juniper.

As we turn from June to July we find the weather still dancing irrationally around the world while events of the past and present and glimpses of the future seem to be merging at a dizzying pace.

We marked the past with deaths of notables along with our own personal losses as we retold the history of this country's struggle for  Independence on this holiday weekend.

Can we acknowledge the importance of equitable education, science and the use of technology as we move forward to meet the future and will we recognize the importance of our stake in that future as we vote in our election?

SEE YOU AT THE POLLS!

No comments :

Post a Comment