Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Met Sans Popcorn

I know that some opera aficionados hold the Metropolitan Opera's live broadcasts in disdain. But for those of us not accorded the opportunity to attend performances in New York, it is still an exciting experience.

Donizetti's "Lucia di Lammermoor" was no less thrilling an experience for those of us attending in the St. Louis Art Museum's Auditorium where neither food nor drink distracted us from the performance a few weeks ago.

Because of the venue, yesterday I was able to introduce my granddaughter to Puccini's "Madama Butterfly." Though I am not sure how much taste for opera this may have created in her, I was excited to be able to share one of my favorites with her even as "Un bel di" once again released a torrent of tears on my part.

I understand the concern that much of the beauty of the music and singing can be lost when hearing the opera in a local movie house. But it is worth it to those of us who will leave the popcorn behind and for the moment be enraptured with the music though far from New York.

1 comment :

  1. It has been called to my attention that there is more than 1 person, myself, who are reading this operetic prononciation of literacy. If that be the fact, where are the comments? The author professes to opera, nytimes, and the politics of liberalism, but it is I the keeper of her genes (or was it jeans) who fully understands the implications of utterance after utterance. Beware the ides of March, and a happy bd to Adrien.luv

    ReplyDelete