Saturday, March 21, 2009

Some of St. Louis' neighborhoods are graced by stately, well kept mansions, others by homes of modest means, and still other neighborhoods are filled with neglected, sometimes abandoned homes. My neighborhood holds many stately homes, but we are also bordered by homes and families that are impoverished or living in groups for disparate reasons.

As a result, I am fortunate enough to be presented with a colorful tableau of people and events whenever I go out.

My morning's walk today took me past homes of historic value and others newly built.
The sky was dull and overcast. The weather such that I still needed a winter jacket. As I spotted beds of daffodil, crocuses and ground cover begining to sprout small blue flowers, I realized that this was indeed the first day of Spring.

Robins hopped from lawn to lawn. Wild sparrows darted from branch to branch.
One home owner was sprinkling a newly seeded lawn. Two dogs lay patiently and lazily on the sidewalk awaiting their owner who had gone into a small coffee shop. Two neighbors rolled out of their group home in their wheelchairs as if to say, it's time to be out and about.

A few hours after I got back home, the wind died down. The sun cames out. Yes, in spite of the ocassional chill, Spring does seem to be on its way and all things seem possible.


No comments :

Post a Comment