Tuesday, August 25, 2009

GOLF AND TEN YEAR OLD ADRIEN

I could never understand the allure of golf. Why chase a little white ball and hope to sink it in a hole in the ground? Why not simply walk, hike, or sprint across the green?

On a hot, humid day in Florida, my great nephew Adrien played in an 18-hole Competition for ten-year olds. Before he began to play, a wheel came off his tripoid. It was unusable. It meant that he would have to carry his 14 pound golf bag with 12 clubs. Without complaint, he hoisted the bag onto his butt and carried it, walking the 18-hole distance.

He played with serious intensity. Sometimes pacing. Sometimes squatting to measure distance. No notice was given to a stray bird or animal nor to his mother and I as we watched. He used a lot of adult judgement to win the competition, clearly a challenge he relished. None the less, like anyone his age, he teased and spritzed his sister when they were in the pool together.

I was proud of him, but I'll stick to the golf cart or walk the green rather than chase a little ball.

1 comment :

  1. Hi Bev,

    this is Adrien, your nephew, I read this article and I was really touched by what you wrote, I think it is great!!

    Congrats, Adrien

    ReplyDelete