Friday, August 28, 2009

MUSUEMS:EXPANDING HUMAN EXPERIENCE

Museums document individual and community experience. I had never heard of a place called Gee's Bend in Alabama, not until I toured the Missouri History Museum. On exhibit, were quilts artistically hand crafted by the women of Gee's Bend along with a documentary about their lives.

Nor did I know much about the fashion industry when I went to the New York Metropolitan Museum until I visited the exhibit, "The Model As Muse: Embodying Fashion." The show captured the impetus for the growth of the fashion industry, the models, photographers, and designers. Many visitors could identify a particular dress that was de rigueur in the exhibit.

And in the Phillips Gallery in Washington, D.C. artists explored the emotional, sensual and tragic aspects of human experience since the 50s, some of which were new for me.

Whether a museum displays objects, paintings or sculpture, one's view of the community and the world at large is expanded.

No comments :

Post a Comment