Thursday, August 20, 2009

LOCAL RADIO AND C-SPAN

This morning on KMOX Radio's "Total Information" broadcast, I listened to one of the best interviews I've heard on the controversy about Canadian Vs. USA Health Care. Doug McElvin and Debbie Monterrey interviewed Dr. Robert Evans, professor of economics, the Center of Health Policy, the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. The interviewers asked pertinent questions and stood aside as Dr. Evans responded with straight forward answers.

Which brings me to the tour I took of C-SPAN, while I was in Washington, D.C. The network was established in 1979. It offers cable viewers three different channels dedicated to coverage of the US House of Representatives, The Senate and the third is used for its own programming - book reviews, phone-ins and interviews with various news makers.

Unlike the constant stream of shrill, noisy TV pundits and talk show hosts, C-SPAN turns its cameras on events and speakers and let's the viewer draw conclusions from what is seen and heard. Something achieved also today by local KMOX whose interviewers stood aside and let me digest the answers to questions.

By way of full disclosure: the complete interview with Dr. Evans can be viewed on KMOX.com;
C-SPAN'S Managing News Editor is Richard Weinstein, my nephew.

No comments :

Post a Comment