Thursday, December 24, 2009

HOLIDAY LESSON ON DIAMOND ST.

When I was a child my family lived on Diamond Street in Philadelphia. Different faiths,ethnic shops and markets were in the neighborhood. I think about Diamond Street at this time of the year because of a lesson I learned there so long ago.

My family celebrates Hanukkah. We lived next door to a neighbor who celebrated Christmas. During one Hanukkah, our neighbor invited us to come in and see her Christmas decorations. The tree was upstairs, but its lovely smell filled the house.

The tree stood in a corner. The branches beautifully trimmed with sparkling ornaments. Beneath its branches was an entire village with lighted houses, people, and moving trains. There was even a circus with animals and a working Ferris wheel. There were two dolls wrapped for my sister and me. It was a dazzling sight.

Even though I thought there could be nothing more beautiful than my twinkling Hanukkah lights, or as exciting as the story my father told, when we came home I asked my mother why we did not have as beautiful decorations as our neighbor. She explained there are many different faiths, each one beautiful in its own tradition.

The lesson I learned from her on Diamond street has served me well all these years. I can enjoy, respect and admire the tradition of other faiths without abandoning my own, especially at this time of the year.

4 comments :

  1. As usual there wasn't a gift for the younger brother; okay so I wasn't born yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this simple, instructive story.
    Since I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood, I had the reverse experience.
    How fortunate we were to grow up amidst others who weren't exactly like us.
    Frankly, I envied my Jewish friends who were able to eat meat on Fridays. But of course, I still abstained.
    We kept our own traditions -- and our many friends of other faiths and customs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment, Dan. It is like getting a bouquet from the master. Yes, it is indeed fortunate that "we are able to keep (sic) our own traditions -- and our many friends of other faiths and customs." Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fond memories -- My family also celebrates Chanukah. As a child, my family had a grocery store in a Catholic neighborhood. Many neighbors invited us to visit them on Christmas Day: I loved going from house to house, socializing and admiring their decorated Christmas trees. Which leads me to tell you a cute story I think you'll enjoy --

    For a brief time, my mother sent me to Jewish Sunday school. We were doing a craft project and were asked to draw a tree. I drew a decorated Christmas tree because that was my experience and I thought that was a pretty tree. Of course, it wasn’t what they had in mind and I was asked to draw a regular tree.

    Wishing you hayyp holidays and New Year!!

    ReplyDelete